Sunday, May 10, 2009

Why Sage Spirit?

During a recent Reiki workshop that I offered, a participant looked at my business card with a picture of a wolf, and asked, "why the name 'Sage Spirit'?" The brief response is that, in my experience, coaching creates the space for the client's sage-ness or innate wisdom to come forth and guide life-building adventures. Often times, the converse is that ego runs the show, keeping us small and safe, rooted in predictable patterns. Of course there's a deeper inspiration for choosing "Sage Spirit."

Sage, my animal companion of fourteen years, lived with a brain tumor during her last several years that provoked intermittent seizures increasing in intensity as she became older. The first one permanently removed her hearing, and so we learned a new way to communicate using hand signals. Through it all, she would accept life each day, just as it presented itself.

Sage remained in her body long past her time to go because she knew that I still needed her. I felt her spirit slip away from me during her final seizure, three days of complete incapacitation. My selfish, anguished tears brought her back into her body. They fueled her determination to hang onto life in spite of her suffering. Once she committed herself to life once more, she channeled her perseverance into relearning how to walk, even with huge neurological barriers. What always remained, no matter what she faced, was her innate sweetness, her loving spirit, and her capacity to accept her life, whatever came.

Here are some of Sage's qualities that I wish to invoke in my life, coaching, Reiki, and writing:



  • Kindness and loving compassion
  • Sensitivity to emotions and energy
  • Natural healing abilities (her tongue worked as well as any antiseptic, but her sweet energy alone worked miracles)
  • Loyal but playful and always ready for adventure (especially camping and road trips to her closest friends)
  • Cunning (she would use the back of my cross-country skiis for a lift, and she learned the gliding motion so well that I wouldn't notice for awhile)
  • Resolve to live authentically in the moment


What better mentor for my work here on earth? Ah, and I have yet another named Myo, a two-year old Australian Shepherd who shares many of Sage's qualities. She, too, has become one of my greatest teachers. Mostly, because she is an alpha-dog, she has helped me to claim, honor, and express more of my personal power than before.

I'm sure I'll write more about Myo later, but this blog is about Sage Spirit. So, I've asked myself, "How can I enfold Sage's spirit into my life and work?" This is what has evolved in my creation of Sage Spirit:

My clients experience a spiritual nudge to make life changes that feel too big, such as changing jobs, residences, relationship styles, or partnership status. They may feel stressed, confused, fearful of the future, or unfocused on their dreams. Their bodies give them indicators of needing attention, such as changed dietary needs, increased or reduced exercise, insomnia, fatigue, restlessness, and/or digestive problems. Health and vitality seem to slip away, but they are unsure of how to respond. They sense that they are off path somehow, a little lost, and unsure how to re-align with, or even identify, their life's purpose. Perhaps they are diagnosed with chronic health problems, and traditional medicine offers only part of the solution, while spiritual exploration seems to be an important component to consider in the healing process.

As a life coach, I help clients to explore their underlying beliefs about themselves, their world, and their capacity to heal or transition. My clients define new ways of living joyfully, vibrantly, and abundantly. They create a life that's aligned with their authentic self and higher purpose. Together we explore their dreams and visions, create action plans, identify support structures, engage in powerful actions, and evaluate their progress.

I welcome your responses to the following coaching questions, either on this blog site, through email (denisesheehan@yahoo.com) or by phone (775.970.5476). Also contact me for your free coaching or Reiki sample session (local or distance sessions available).

  • Where do you find inspiration in the plant or animal kingdom?
  • How can you use your challenges and barriers as an avenue to express your true essence?
  • Each day, each moment, we have the choice to fill our experience in ways that inspire our hopes or provoke our fears. What will you choose to place in your experience today?


7 comments:

  1. Denise, it is wonderful to see your new birthing! I just want to share with anyone who may visit your blog, our experience of coaching together. During her training to become a life coach, Denise helped me explore myths lying underneath my fear that there was not enough of me to go around. I was weighted down with doubts of my ability to meet my aging mother's increasing needs in the manner I wished, to support my friend facing cancer, and her daughter, to be present for my husband and our son, to keep up at work, and to prepare for a career change to which I felt called - "What?! Now?!" I cried. Denise lovingly guided me through a series of reflections to insights that opened my awareness of, and allowed me to access, my inner knowing and strength. Her loving honoring of me and her sincere presence and guidance left me feeling peaceful and assured, with an alive conviction that all was indeed well in the present moment, and I was not only enough, but abundant! Experiencing Denise's coaching was truly a turning point for me, and she was right- I've been way beyond enough. I would encourage any friend or colleague experiencing uncertainty or stress or illness to invite Denise to join them in learning what their situation has to illuminate for them. When I'm stuck again, I'll be calling you, Denise! Many warm wishes on the advent of your new adventure!
    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, Thank you for sharing your experience. I love coaching so much just because there's potential for so much impact! Plus, you are simply amazing, so much to offer. That's true for us all, and sometimes we just need to be reminded of all we can accomplish. I hope to have the chance to coach with you again, not because "your stuck," but because there's another higher calling giving you that spiritual nudge. I wish you many wonders on your new journey too! Love, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, A great man once said there is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You are one of those gifts for me in my life. I have had the opportunity to deeply benefit from the gifts Denise shares with her clients. Denise's deep intuitive energy helped me release emotions that freed my mind and body to be open to new and enriching life experiences. My sessions with Denise resulted in sustainable transformations in my life. Thank You! I look forward to opening in new directions with your guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, Thank you for your sweet words! I'm so blessed to know you and your many gifts, and to play even a small role in your "sustainable transformations." I welcome the opportunity to experience more coaching and Reiki with you! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise,
    Your story and that of Sage is lovely and powerful. I wish you great success in this new venture. Following ones vocation is courage path to walk. Your success will be a shared success and one I celebrate.

    It is my pleasure and honor to to be part of your coaching community. I look forward to many years of shared learning, compassion, encouragement and support.

    All my best wishes for success,
    Deirdre
    In Motion Consulting and Coaching
    http://inmotioncc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deirdre,I'm honored by your words and delighted to know your wonderful support on this journey. You are a truly amazing coach with a very bright journey ahead! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha Denise,

    I had the privilege of meeting Sage and experiencing her friendly and adventurous spirit. Animals are very inspiring to me in their guileless way of experiencing life in the present. Living in the present is a constant challenge for be; my monkey mind can be loud, demanding and very critical.

    When I take the time to face the critical monkey chatter voice by centering in the present moment, I see glimpses of who I am and how I can express my true essence uninterrupted by self-doubt and inner criticism.

    All the best with your newly found expression of talent, and your new home. My life experiences have shown met that one cannot accept new gifts and opportunities without letting other things go.

    Shaloha,

    Ken

    ReplyDelete